To distance himself from the bustle of wars that raged in Italy at the time Pope Clement V took residence at Avignon, France in 1304. His successor, John XXII, restored and enlarged the old Episcopal residence of Châteauneuf. It was he who ordered the first grapevines to be planted in the year 1318.
Initially intended as a confidential production, wine growing gained predominance as the years went by. The true renown of Châteauneuf du Pape wines date from the 13th century.
Official recognition had to wait until 1929 when the Appellation d’Origine Controlée of Châteauneuf du Pape established the regulations concerning acreage growth limitations, the 13 grape varietals authorized, pruning, harvesting selection and limited wine productions.
A geographical boundary of the AOC Châteauneuf du Pape region has been determined by excluding all modern alluvions. These reach over a large area of the Châteauneuf du Pape commune and over other parts belonging to Bédarrides, Courthezon, Orange and Sorgues.